Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Tex Murphy Project Fedora

texprojectfedora

I’ve become obsessed with watching the progress of the Tex Murphy Project Fedora Kickstarter. In six days, over half of the funding has been pledged, which is a good sign that us die hard Tex Murphy fans will finally get to play a long awaited new game, albeit in the future. After waiting for well over a decade, 12 months or so seems hardly any time at all.

I had never heard of Kickstarter prior to this project announcement, but it is a very clever idea on the part of its instigators. It is basically a crowd funding platform which enables projects of all types to solicit backing from the Internet community.  And it is very community orientated with ample opportunities for backers to comment on the project or connect directly with project managers.

Backers are rewarded concomitant with the amount of money pledged and start as low as a $5.00. For that sum on the Project Fedora Kickstarter you are rewarded with a downloadable pdf poster. A $15.00 pledge rewards you with a digital copy of the game DRM free. The more money you pledge,  more desirable rewards are offered.

You pay your pledge through credit card or, interestingly, through an Amazon account.

Just as interesting as watching the progress of the kickstarter are the frequent updates, which in this case are all cleverly executed videos.  The video below is Big Finish Games promotional video for their Kickstarter page. As a fan of the Tex Murphy games it was all very nostalgic for me, but it will also amuse those who have never played the games or even heard of them.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you're working with? I'm planning to
start my own blog in the near future but I'm having a difficult time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your layout seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for
something unique. P.S Sorry for getting off-topic but I had to ask!
Feel free to surf my page ; backyard roasting

Anne S said...

I obviously use Google Blogger. It's fine as far as I am concerned. You can customise a template to suit yourself, which is how I designed Cat Politics.