Sunday, May 25, 2008

Apache Cat Gallops into History

apachecat3

In winning the Doomben 10,000 yesterday, Apache Cat became the first horse to win five consecutive Group 1 races since the great Australian racehorse, Tulloch, completed this sequence of wins in the 1950s . The Cat did it in spectacular fashion and with apparent ease, totally blitzing his rivals, winning by four and a half lengths.

If you've been reading my racing posts you'll know that I have been following the Cat's career for years. He's a very popular racehorse due to his unusual appearance, with that big white blaze on his face and he now has his own web site maintained by one of his fans.

The Doomben 10,000 is one of the Group 1 featured races during the Queensland racing carnival. Apache Cat also won the BTC Cup two weeks ago, another Group 1 sprint. He'll now be spelled till the spring and will possibly trying his luck on the International circuit later this year.

Another of my former favourite race horses, Haradasun, who was imported to Ireland last year, ran his first race in the UK last weekend. He was badly held up for a run and failed to run a place. His next assignment is the Queen Anne Stakes at Ascot on June 17th after which he will probably retired to stud.

Over the past 10 weeks I've been participating in a tipping competition on the Racing & Sports web site, called Group 1 Glory. It's been tough and very challenging, but I made it to the final round. I'm waiting the results to see if I have won the competition, which by my reckoning I should have.

Update:
Victory is mine in the Group 1 Glory competition! I won by a good margin, tipping three winners last Saturday.

No comments: